National Renewable Energy Laboratory Walks the Walk
Green data center solutions and smart power strips show the sustainable side of IT.
- Steve Hammond, director Computational Science Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Kevin Donovan, data center manager, NREL
- Michael Sheppy, engineer, NREL
• The National Renewable Energy Laboratory employs sustainable technology practices in its Research Support Facility and Energy Systems Integration Facility data centers.
• NREL’s Peregrine supercomputer is capable of 1.2 petaflops while using 25 percent less power than planned.
• In cooperation with the U.S Navy, NREL engineers demonstrated that advanced power strips can cut plug loads by 28 percent.